The Iconic Flock of Seagulls Hair: A Look Back at a Timeless 80s Trend
Flock of Seagulls Hair – The 1980s were a decade known for its bold fashion choices, and one of the most iconic and memorable trends from that era was the “Flock of Seagulls” hairstyle. This gravity-defying, asymmetrical haircut captured the essence of the ’80s, and it remains an enduring symbol of that vibrant era. In this blog, we’ll look closer at the Flock of Seagulls hair, its origins, and its cultural impact.
The Birth of a Trend
The Flock of Seagulls hairstyle is synonymous with the English new wave band “A Flock of Seagulls.” The band’s lead singer, Mike Score, was not only known for his distinctive vocals but also for his extravagant hairstyle.
Mike Score’s hair, a combination of asymmetrical bangs and a high, feathered crown, resembled the wings of seagulls in flight. This unique style became their signature look, and fans quickly associated it with the band.
Read More – Scalp Exfoliation: Healthy Hair
The Elements of the Flock of Seagulls Hair
The Flock of Seagulls hair is a unique blend of elements that together create a remarkable and instantly recognizable look:
- Asymmetrical Bangs: The most defining feature of this hairstyle is the dramatic asymmetry. The bangs are typically swept to one side, covering one eye and cascading down the forehead. This asymmetry added an element of mystery to the overall look.
- Feathered Crown: The top portion of the hair is teased and styled to create a voluminous crown resembling seagulls’ wings. Achieving this required plenty of hairspray and sometimes even a bit of backcombing to give the hair that desired lift and body.
- Wavy or Permed Hair: People with naturally straight hair often opted for perms to achieve the wavy texture essential for this style. This textural element was crucial to capturing the true essence of the Flock of Seagulls hair.
The Cultural Impact
The Flock of Seagulls hairstyle, like the band itself, enjoyed a significant cultural impact during the 1980s. It was a prime example of how fashion and music converged to create a unique identity. The hairstyle was more than just a trend; it became an emblem of rebellion, self-expression, and youthful exuberance.
The style also made its way into popular culture through various mediums:
- Music Videos: A Flock of Seagulls’ music videos often featured the band members flaunting their iconic hair. The videos were a crucial part of their success and contributed to the hairstyle’s fame.
- Television: The hairstyle could be spotted in numerous ’80s television shows and movies. It was a defining look for the era, appearing in classics like “The Breakfast Club” and “Stranger Things.”
- Fashion Magazines: The Flock of Seagulls hair was celebrated in fashion magazines, further solidifying its status as a trendsetting look.
The Influence of Music and Iconic Videos
A Flock of Seagulls’ music played a significant role in popularizing the hairstyle. Their hit single “I Ran (So Far Away)” became one of their most recognizable songs, and the music video featured the band members prominently displaying their distinctive hair. The video was a visual feast of sci-fi aesthetics and fashion choices that perfectly encapsulated the ’80s vibe.
Other bands of the era, such as Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet, embraced equally flamboyant hairstyles and fashion, contributing to the widespread acceptance of eccentric and unorthodox style choices.
Modern Resurgence and Variations
In recent years, there has been a resurgence of ’80s nostalgia in popular culture, which has rekindled interest in the Flock of Seagulls hairstyle. Whether they lived through the ’80s or not, people of all ages have embraced this quirky and iconic look to express their individuality and pay tribute to the past.
Modern versions of the Flock of Seagulls hair often involve adaptations to make it more practical and wearable. While some may fully recreate the classic look, others incorporate style elements into their existing haircuts, making it more versatile and manageable for contemporary standards.
The fundamental asymmetry, however, remains a defining feature that connects the modern reinterpretations with the original style.
Hair stylists and salons have also offered their own take on the Flock of Seagulls, updating it to fit modern trends and preferences. This revival demonstrates the enduring appeal of this iconic ’80s trend.
The Flock of Seagulls hair is not just a relic of the ’80s but a living testament to the era’s cultural impact and influence. It represents a time when music, fashion, and individuality converged to create a unique and unforgettable identity.
Whether worn as a nostalgic homage or adapted for contemporary tastes, this iconic hairstyle will always symbolise a time when creativity knew no bounds and self-expression knew no limits.
As we continue to celebrate the style, we keep the spirit of the ’80s alive and well, ensuring that the Flock of Seagulls hair remains a timeless and beloved trend.
Read More – 25+ Best Wash And Wear Haircuts For Over 60
1. What is the Flock of Seagulls hairstyle?
The Flock of Seagulls hairstyle is a distinctive ’80s hair trend characterized by asymmetrical bangs that are swept to one side, often covering one eye and a voluminous, feathered crown resembling seagulls’ wings. Achieving this look typically involves wavy or permed hair and lots of hairspray.
2. Why is it called the Flock of Seagulls hairstyle?
The hairstyle is named after the English new wave band “A Flock of Seagulls” whose lead singer, Mike Score, popularized this unique hairdo. His asymmetrical, gravity-defying hairstyle resembled the wings of seagulls in flight, which became the band’s signature look.
3. How do I create the Flock of Seagulls hairstyle?
Creating the Flock of Seagulls hairstyle requires professional styling or significant effort. It often involves perming or curling the hair to achieve the necessary texture, backcombing to add volume to the crown, and using a generous amount of hairspray to hold the style in place. It’s recommended to seek the assistance of a skilled hairstylist to achieve the best results.
4. Can I modify the Flock of Seagulls hairstyle for a more modern look?
Yes, you can adapt the Flock of Seagulls hairstyle to fit modern tastes and daily life. Many people opt for a more subtle or wearable version by maintaining the asymmetry but toning the volume and extravagant elements. This allows you to pay homage to the classic style while making it more practical for today.
5. Is the Flock of Seagulls hair making a comeback?
Yes, the Flock of Seagulls hairstyle has experienced a resurgence in recent years due to the revival of ’80s fashion and nostalgia. Many individuals, both those who lived through the ’80s and younger generations, have embraced this iconic look as a way to express themselves and celebrate the past.
Read More – Top 10 Edgar Haircut Ideas for Men for 2023