Black Maine Coon: Personality, Grooming, Colour & More
Black Maine Coon – Cats are the most lovable, caring and gentle animals on the Earth. There are approximately 50-70 breeds of cats ranging from giant fluffy to small ones. Amongst all of them, there comes Black Maine Coon. It represents a unique colour variation of the renowned Maine Coon cat breed.
This feline breed is famous for its expansive size and sociable nature. It is often known as the “kind-hearted giant.” These cats are very popular for their substantial stature and dense fur coats. They exhibit dog-like characteristics and display remarkable adaptability in harsh weather environments.
In this article, we will let you know everything related to Black Maine Coon, right from its personality and origin to grooming and health care. So, let’s get started–
What is a Black Maine Coon?
American Longhair, Maine Shag, American Forest Cat, Maine Cat, and American Coot Cat are other names for Black Maine Coon, which is an exotic and rare breed. They have large feet, piercing eyes and lion-like mane. Nowadays, Maine Coon are the most popular breeds of cats and are accessible in various distinct colours.
These felines look adorable in every pattern and colour. Still, they are extraordinarily special as they have also received recognition from various associations of cat breeders worldwide, like Federation Internationale Feline (FIFe), The International Cat Association (TICA) and Cat Fanciers’ Association (CFA).
|Black Maine Coon
|Domesticated Cat Breed
|Female – medium: 8-12 lbs.Male – large: >12 lbs.
|Type of Coat
|Long black coat
|Odd-eyed, Gold, Green and Copper
|American Longhair, Maine Shag, American Forest Cat, Maine Cat, and American Coot Cat
|Sweet-tempered and Gentle
Origins & History
Originating from North America, this feline breed is the oldest breed of the world. The Black Maine Coon feline is the official state cat of Northeastern state. There is a belief among people that this feline breed is somehow related to the Siberian Domestic Cat and Norwegian Forest Cat.
In the 19th century, this feline breed was very popular. A female Black Maine Coon, “Cosey”, went on the first cat show in North America in 1895.
But after 1911, other feline breeds, such as Persian cats, started becoming very popular and therefore, the Maine Coon breed started declining. In 1970, they made an extraordinary comeback. Still, they are adored by cat enthusiasts worldwide.
Patterns & Colours
Black Maine Coon has similar fur patterns but various distinct fur combinations and colours.
Curious to know more?
These are a few common patterns and colours of Maine Coon Felines:
- White and Black
- Solid Black
- Tabby with White Patterns
- Mackerel Tabby Patterns
- Tabby Patterns
- Solid Patterns like Black Maine Coon
- Bi-Colour Patterns like White and Black Maine Coon
- Smoke Patterns like Smokey Black Maine Coon
- Tortoise Shell Patterns
- Spotted Tabby Patterns
According to the cat, everything belongs to them.
They possess very different almond-shaped eyes. Mostly, their eye colour is green or amber, but they are also accessible in orange, copper, green amber, yellow or gold.
Black Maine coon possesses primarily black features, from their fascinating black fur, noses and whiskers to their long hairs and paw pads. Their tufts and ears are also of solid black colour. However, the most recognizable feature of this feline breed is their lynx-like fur. It makes them look absolutely adorable.
Here is the table of Black Maine Coon inches and lbs:-
Maine Coons have the potential to exceed the numbers presented in the above table. For example – a male purebred Maine Coon cat was the world’s longest cat in 2010. Stewie’s length was approximately 48.5 inches (123 centimetres) from the foremost point of his nose to the ultimate tip of his tail.
There are pet enthusiasts who are curious to know whether colour affects personality. For instance, black colour means black personality!
“No” in this paragraph, we will let you know about the Maine Coon feline personality.
- Black Maine Coon are not like other cats; in fact, they like to cuddle alongside their owner and play around.
- Just like its body, it has a giant heart.
- They are unaware of the fact that black felines should behave mysteriously.
- They always want their owner to cuddle it, play with it and hold it.
- They are very intelligent and, therefore, easy to train.
- They have a laid-back personality so that you can travel with them easily.
All the reasons mentioned above are also referred to as “the canines of the felines realm”. They are fond of all those things that are hated by felines and loved by dogs.
Care & Health
Maine Coon feline breed is categorized as a heavy and robust feline breed that possesses the capabilities to live in the harsh cold environments of Northern America. Sometimes, they become prone to some medical issues that are as follows–
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy – Cardiac Disease in Cats
- Obesity – Overweight
- Hip Dysplasia – Cause Arthritis and sometimes lead to paralysis
- Periodontal Disease – Gum Disease
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy – Where instability and posture abnormalities rise
- Stomatitis – Painful inflammation in feline’s gums and mouth
- Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) – Hereditary genetic where ulcers can be seen on feline’s kidneys
If your beloved feline suffers from any of the diseases mentioned above, contact a veterinary doctor for any medical guidance.
Cats are very active and independent creatures; still, you must motivate your loved Maine Coon in order to exercise daily.
But how to do this?
Buy various kinds of cat toys like a cat tower, catnip toy or a puzzle.
Maine Coon is a pure and fresh feline with a shaggy, thick and long coat. Therefore, they demand frequent grooming in order to keep their fur in good condition. In wet and damp weather, they also become prone to matting. So, it’s crucial to keep them fresh all day long. They are supposed to be groomed once a week.
Parasite control and regular vaccination must also be remembered.
Black Maine Coon lives for up to 9-13 years. But there are few felines who can live for up to 15 years. It depends on the care and health of the feline, which vary according to the cat.
Curious to know the cost of Black Maine Coon?
There are various factors that are responsible for the cost of a feline’s breed, like age, colour and gender. This same approach also applies to Maine cats. You can purchase a purebred Maine cat ranging from $400 – $22000. But for Black Maine Coon, you have to pay approximately $1000 – $2000.
Purchase Black Maine Coon from rescue centres and shelters for sale. Also, there are several places that provide them for adoption.
This is a chart that depicts prices for all the kinds of Black Maine Coon felines:-
Note – These prices might vary on the basis of demand, location and breeder.
A few fun facts that you may not know regarding your Black Maine Coon felines are:-
- Maine felines are created in such a way so that they can tolerate harsh, cold conditions. They do this by wrapping their fluffy tails around them so as to keep themselves warm. To keep their sensitive parts (stomachs, flanks and ruffs) warm, they possess water-repellent and thick coats.
- They look like giant monstrous felines but are lively, playful, and good with other pets and family members.
- They are an excellent companion if you are a cat enthusiast but crave for dog-like characteristics and traits.
- They love to get in the pools and are excellent swimmers. You will see them in the pools or ponds, especially during the summer.
- Black Maine coon possesses different and unique meows. They have a variety of meows, starting from the loud to chirping. In general, they choose chirps that you will be able to hear when they get pleased or excited after seeing you during a perfect ear-scratching session.
- Few Maine felines have six toes right beginning from their birth, which is quite normal in this particular feline breed.
- Black Maine coon are also known by the name healthiest breed as they possess the highest life expectancy. But they suffer from a few diseases, such as hip dysplasia, spinal muscular atrophy and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
- They are fond of good ear-scratching and cuddles.
Are Maine Shag Good Pets?
Maine Shag are highly loyal, intelligent and loyal felines. They love to be with their owners all the time in the house. They are straightforward to train and also do not suffer from separation anxiety. Black Maine Coon, with their mesmerizing eyes and black coats, can make everyone adore them. Combining all these things results in proving that they are lovely and excellent family pets.
In this article, we have provided you with all your answers before purchasing a Black Maine Coon. They are super cool, like all the other combinations of black felines. All colours of Black Maine Coon are fascinating, whether blue, cream, white or red. They love to cuddle alongside their owners all day long and are good with other pets or kids. They are an excellent companion if you are a cat enthusiast but crave for dog-like characteristics and traits.
Are Black Maine Coons unlucky?
No. There is a belief among people that if you come across a black feline and it crosses your way, then it will be considered as bad luck. But no Maine Shag owner would agree with this fact.
How much is a Maine Shag?
There are various factors that are responsible for the cost of a feline’s breed, like age, colour and gender. This same approach also applies to Maine cats. You can purchase a purebred Maine cat ranging from $400 – $22000. But for Black Maine Coon, you have to pay approximately $1000 – $2000. You can also purchase Black Maine Coon from rescue centres and shelters at sale. And there are several places that provide them for adoption.
Are Black Maine Coon friendly?
They love to cuddle alongside their owners all day long and are good with other pets or kids. They are an excellent companion if you are a cat enthusiast but crave for dog-like characteristics and traits.
Can Maine Shag protect you?
Maine Coons felines have dog-like traits when it comes to protection. Their personal goal is to protect their special someone, especially kids; therefore, they are fiercely loyal.
What are the facial characteristics that make them look unique?
They possess very different almond-shaped eyes. Mostly, their eye colour is green or amber, but they are also accessible in orange, copper, green amber, yellow or gold. Black Maine coon possesses primarily black features, from their fascinating black fur, noses and whiskers to their long hairs and paw pads. Their tufts and ears are also of solid black colour. However, the most recognizable feature of this feline breed is their lynx-like fur. It makes them look absolutely adorable.